Who must post the Federal Contractors EEO “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” Peel ‘N Post™?
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC) “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” Peel ‘N Post™ must be posted by:
- Private sector employers with 15 or more employees; state and local governments (as employers) with 15 or more employees; labor unions with at least 15 members or that operate a hiring hall; employment agencies; and educational institutions (as employers).
- Federal contractors and subcontractors and contractors with covered federally assisted contracts federal (assisted) of over $10,000; financial institutions that issue and pay on US savings bonds and notes; and depositories of federal funds or entities having government bills of lading.
The “Know Your Rights” posting must be posted in a conspicuous location in the workplace where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted. Employers are encouraged to post the notice digitally. Electronic posting supplements but does not replace the physical posting requirement.
- Private sector: Employee protections from discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA).
- Federal sector: Non-discrimination and pay transparency provisions of Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC) “Know Your Rights” posting replaces the “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” posting. The posting has been redesigned using straightforward language in a question-and-answer format and responses illustrated by bullet points. The new format is intended to make the posting easier for employees and employers to understand their rights and responsibilities.
Specific changes include:
- Private sector:
- Clarifies that sex discrimination includes discrimination based on pregnancy and related conditions, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Clarifies that harassment, including unwelcome verbal or physical conduct, is a prohibited discriminatory practice.
- Adds that the time limits for filing charges of discrimination.
- Adds the EEOC’s public web portal, EEOC email address, and a QR code linked to the EEOC’s charge filing information.
- Federal sector:
- Know Your Rights replaces the “Equal Employment Opportunity” posting and the “EEO is the Law Poster Supplement.” The Know Your Rights posting does not replace the “Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.” Federal contractors are required to post the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision posting in addition to posting Know Your Rights.
- Provides OFCCP contact information including the online Help Desk.
- Posting revision date: 10/20/2022.
How are posting violations enforced?
- Effective February 23, 2022, the maximum penalty for violating the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC) posting requirement is $612.00. The penalty is adjusted annually for inflation.
- Federal contracts may be canceled, terminated or suspended and the contractor may be declared ineligible for further government contracts, and any other sanctions authorized by law or ordered by of the Secretary of Labor.
What size “Know Your Rights” Peel ‘N Post do I need?
Please see the chart below for the correct Peel ‘N Post for your Federal Poster. Employers in Maryland, Nevada, and New Jersey should select the “Interview Room” Peel ‘N Post.
Interview Room Posters
Federal Construction Contractor Posters
Federal Service Contract Posters
Federal Service and Manufacturing Contractor Posters
|PEEL ‘N POST NUMBERS||PEEL ‘N POST NUMBERS||PEEL ‘N POST NUMBERS||FULL POSTER UPDATE REQUIRED|
|(9.25” x 7.83”)||(7.23” x 11.61”)||(6.72” x 5.82”)||(26” x 40”)|
|English #90176||English #91353||English #91355|
|Spanish #90177||Spanish #91354||Spanish #91356|