Nova Scotia’s 2018 Minimum Wage Rate Increases
The Nova Scotia 2018 Minimum Wage Peel ‘N Post reflects the minimum wage rate increases effective April 1, 2018, as follows:
- General minimum wage rate increase to $11.00 per hour.
- Inexperienced workers’ minimum wage rate increase to $10.50 per hour. Employees can be paid the inexperienced rate only if they have worked for the employer for less than three months and have less than three months total experience with the kind of work they have been hired to do.
- The hourly minimum wage for experienced workers is adjusted annually based on the increase in the Consumer Price Index for the preceding year.
- The hourly minimum wage rate for inexperienced workers is $.50 less than the hourly wage rate for experienced workers.
- All employers with employees covered by the Minimum Wage Orders must post and keep posted in a conspicuous place in the employer’s establishment or plant a copy of the Minimum Wage Orders Notice of Adjustments 2018. The notice can be downloaded from https://novascotia.ca/lae/employmentrights/docs/Notice-of-Adjustments-2018.pdf.
Minimum Wage Worker Demographics
According to the Minimum Wage Review Committee, in 2015 an estimated 27,800 employees earned minimum wage in Nova Scotia, which is 7.1 % of wage earning workers. Minimum wage earners work throughout the province. They work primarily in retail trade, followed by food and accommodation industries. Most are under the age of 25. Most work part time and go to school full time. Many are sons and daughters living at home. Almost two thirds of minimum wage earners in the province are women. Very few minimum wage
workers are unionized.
Provincial 2018 Minimum Wage Rates
|Province||Effective Date||2018 Minimum Wage Rate|
|Alberta||10/1/18||$15.00 per hour|
|British Columbia||6/1/18||$12.65 per hour|
|Manitoba||10/1/17||$11.15 per hour|
|New Brunswick||4/1/18||$11.25 per hour|
|Newfoundland & Labrador||4/1/18||$11.15 per hour|
|Northwest Territories||4/1/18||$13.46 per hour|
|Nova Scotia||4/1/18||$11.00 per hour|
|Ontario||1/1/18||$14.00 per hour|
|Prince Edward Island||4/1/18||$11.55 per hour|
|Quebec||5/1/18||$11.25 per hour|
|Saskatchewan||10/1/17||$10.96 per hour|
|Yukon||4/1/18||$11.51 per hour|