Who Needs the California Workers’ Compensation Fraud Poster?
Workers’ Compensation fraud hurts both businesses and its employees. Fraud drives up Workers’ Compensation insurance costs and affects every employer across every industry. When Workers’ Compensation premiums rise, employers may be forced to cut back on employee benefits such as raises, health insurance, and even jobs.
This anti-fraud poster is designed to help your employees become aware of Workers’ Compensation fraud, the consequences for fraudulently making or handling claims, and how to report Workers’ Compensation fraud. Informing individuals of the prohibited conduct and consequences can help deter fraud and encourage fraud reporting.
The California Insurance Code prohibits:
- making false oral or written statements for the purpose of obtaining or denying Workers’ Compensation benefits
- presenting false statements in support or opposition to a claim
- assisting, abetting, conspiring with, or soliciting an unlawful act
- making false statements regarding entitlement to benefits to discourage an injured worker from claiming benefits
- making false statements with regard to the Return-to-Work Program
The consequences for committing Workers’ Compensation fraud includes terms of imprisonment and significant fines.
Fraud may be reported to the California Department of Insurance’s Fraud Hotline number provided.