San Francisco Employers – New Posting Requirements

San Francisco, CA employers perhaps have the most posting compliance responsibilities of any employers in the nation. For San Francisco employers, this year is no exception. Substantial changes were just made to three of the required workplace postings. Employers are required to post these updates immediately:

  • Health Care Security Ordinance
  • Paid Sick Leave Ordinance
  • Paid Parental Leave Ordinance

Health Care Security Ordinance (HSCO)

San Francisco employers are required to spend a minimum amount of money on health benefits for their employees. The minimum amount that an employer must provide in benefits is calculated by multiplying the total number hours the employee works during the quarter by the annual rate established by the City. Effective January 1, 2017, the minimum hourly health care benefit rate has increased to $1.76 per hour for employers with 20-99 employees and to $1.64 per hour for employers with 100+ employees. Employers may not deduct Health Care Security expenditures from employees’ paychecks.

Paid Sick Leave Ordinance (PSLO)

San Francisco has released a new Paid Sick Leave posting that informs employees of PSLO benefits including recent changes to the PSLO made by voters. The changes better align local law with state paid sick leave benefits. Changes include:

  • timing of accrual and use – accrues from date of hire; may be used 90 days from start date
  • how small employers may provide sick leave – by frontloading hours and/or allowing hours to accrue
  • the requirement to report accruals on wage statements
  • expanded uses of paid sick time – organ donations, leave related to domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking

Paid Parental Leave Ordinance (PPLO)

The new Paid Parental Leave Ordinance posting describes employees’ eligibility for employer-paid supplemental compensation during a Paid Family Leave (PFL) for new child bonding. The PPLO benefit is in addition to the PFL benefit provided under state law. In most cases, the amount employers must pay will equal 45% of the employee’s weekly wages during the 6-week PFL benefit period. The state pays the remaining 55%. To be eligible, employees must:

  • work for the employer for 6 months
  • work a minimum of 8 hours per week and 40% of the hours within San Francisco, and
  • be receiving California Paid Family Leave benefits for new child bonding

Compliance Poster Company knows that keeping up with local poster changes can be a challenging task. It is also an expensive proposition. Therefore, we combine several posting requirements into single-format posters where possible. To comply with the three new San Francisco posting changes, CPC offers the following poster combinations:

Each poster is in a multi-language format to ensure all employers meet language posting requirements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *