Canadian Provinces, Ontario and Prince Edward Island have minimum wage increases coming soon.
Effective June 1, 2014 the general minimum wage rate for Ontario increases by 75 cents from $10.25 per hour to $11.00 per hour. There are minimum wage rate distinctions as outlined below:
- The student worker rate will increase by 70 cents from $9.60 per hour to $10.30 per hour
- The liquor servers rate will increase by 65 cents from $8.90 per hour to $9.55 per hour
- The hunting and fishing guide rate will increase by $3.75 from $51.25 to $55.00 for work performed less than five (5) consecutive hours in a day AND by $7.50 from $102.50 to $110.00 for work performed five (5) or more hours a day whether or not the hours are consecutive
- The home worker rate will increase by 82 cents from $11.28 per hour to $12.10 per hour
The general wage rate applies to most employees. As for students, that rate applies to those individuals under the age of 18 who work 28 hours a week or less when school is in session, or work during a school break or summer holidays. The hunting and fishing guide’s rate is based on blocks of time instead of by the hour. Finally, home workers are considered employees who do paid work in their own homes. One important consideration is that students of any age, including students under the age of 18 who are employed as home workers must be paid the home worker minimum wage. Keep in mind; some employees have jobs that are exempt from the minimum wage provisions. See the Employment Standards Act for details.
In Prince Edward Island the minimum wage increases two (2) times in 2014.
- The first increase which is effective June 1, 2014 takes the wage rate from $10.00 per hour to $10.20 per hour.
- The second increase occurs on October 1, 2014 and brings the wage rate up by an additional 15 cents to $10.35 per hour.
Prince Edward Island’s Minimum Wage Order sets the minimum wage rate, which is the least amount of money an employer can pay an employee for each hour of work.
Compliance Poster Company’s HR Research and Compliance Team is currently updating products and services to reflect the important changes. Click on the links below to make your purchase today.