The US Department of Labor has updated regulations to reflect modern workforce demographics, employees’ health and family care responsibilities, and achieve pay equity. Mandatory federal workplace posting updates reflecting these goals are expected soon.
- FMLA Poster Update – The U.S. Department of Labor (US DOL) has issued a Final Rule changing the Family and Medical Leave Act’s (FMLA) definition of “spouse” so that eligible employees in legal same-sex marriages will be able to take FMLA leave. Compliance Poster Company is following the progress of litigation just filed challenging the DOL’s Final Rule. Once the matter is resolved, an updated Family and Medical Leave Act posting is expected.
- EEO is the Law Poster Update –
- Persons with Disabilities – The US DOL Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) has issued a Final Rule under Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act that requires federal contractors to implement affirmative action measures to recruit, hire, promote, and retain persons with disabilities. CPC is tracking the final stages of litigation testing this Final Rule. The Final Rule contains a posting requirement and the EEO is the Law Poster is likely to be updated once the lawsuit is resolved.
- VEVRAA Veterans – The OFCCP has issued a Final Rule affecting federal contractors’ obligation to promote employment of Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act veterans. The regulations require employers to post a notice of the rights and equal employment opportunities of employees and applicants who are protected VEVRRA veterans. The OFCCP and EEOC are working together to update the EEO is the Law Poster to reflect this change.
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity – The OFCCP has issued a Final Rule changing OFCCP’s regulations so that they prohibit discrimination on the bases of sexual orientation and gender identity in the federal contracting workforce. The Final Rule requires posting updated notices. The EEO posting should be updated shortly to include these protected categories.
- Compensation discrimination – The US DOL has announced a Proposed Rule that prohibits federal contractors from discriminating against employees and applicants who discuss, disclose or inquire about their own or others’ compensation. A final rule may be a way off, but an EEO posting update is expected to eventually fulfill the notice provision of the rule.
The US DOL and OFCCP have informed us that mandatory poster updates are coming soon. CPC wants to make sure you stay in compliance! Check our blog and twitter feed regularly for updates and additional details.