Louisiana Employment Security Law was recently amended to require EVERY employer to post a state-mandated notice regarding misclassification of employees as independent contractors.
The new “Independent Contractor or Employee?” posting advises all employees, employers, independent contractors and subcontractors of:
- Factors that describe independent contractors,
- Rights regarding unemployment and workers’ compensation benefits,
- Employee protections from retaliation,
- Contact numbers for classification information and complaints,
- Independent contractor tax payment responsibilities,
- Consequences for misclassifying workers, and
- Legal warning against misclassification.
The new posting requirement is intended to prevent fraud and ensure the proper collection and administration of contributions toward unemployment and workers’ compensation benefits, state and federal taxes, and other protections and penalties for misclassification of workers. The law became effective August 1, 2012.
Compliance Poster Company is updating all Louisiana State & Federal All-On-One™ labor law posters to reflect the mandatory change. Did you know we also make a Louisiana Mobile Poster Pak™ for on-the-go workers? Louisiana All-On-One™ labor law posters and Mobile Poster Paks™ are available in English and Spanish.